Monday, September 10, 2012

Getting Acquainted


Hello Mediterranean. Glad to finally meet you.
This was my first peek at the Mediterranean. It’s just as blue as I have always imagined it.

This entry is going to be short sentenced as it is after midnight here and I want to show you some photos but I also want to try to stay with, what has so far been, my easy adjustment to this time zone. Ok, with the exception of falling asleep at the waterside cafe I had dinner in last night. :0

 
I woke up early, had breakfast, and got myself on a hop on/ hop off bus headed North. The bus was very fun. All the travelers speaking different languages of wonder.
Fellow Travelers
Mdina- The Walled City
I had read about the walled city of Mdina and wanted to see it. It was the first capital of Malta and was built on a high place in the interior of the island... so as to be protected from pirates and such. It is really cool. Tall walls, narrow winding streets, old, old. Mdina’s streets are kind of like a maze. They said that was so its original residents could evade pirates. (There was a lot of talk of pirates.)  The tall walls also shade the streets; they were amazingly cool considering how HOT it was today.

Mdina's tall walls and narrow streets


St. Paul's Cathedral

There are so many beautiful churches here. Most of them, like St. Paul’s Cathedral in Mdina, have two clocks on the front. If you look closely you can see them under the bell towers. The tradition is that one of the clocks is set to the right time and one is set to a wrong time. It’s supposed to trick the devil so he won’t know when people are at mass. Imagine.


My hotel on the waterfront. (It’s the big building to the left.)
There is quite the learning curve on all this blog design stuff.  It's now 2:30am! I am the lone last soul sitting here in the hotel lobby... the hotel that you can see in the above photo. Time for BED for this pilgrim.       Il-Lejla it-tajba!  (That's "goodnight" in Maltese.)


No comments:

Post a Comment